Monday, June 15, 2009

this is why americans are FAT!

Subtlety..........is not a very American thing.

And I guess this place proves it. FAT BURGER, seriously not trying to hide anything by its name. Its the infamous burger joint from the West Coast LA (and also recommended by Moez). Mentioned in Ice Cube 1993 hit 'Today Was a Good Day'.....

'....No helicopter looking for a murder
Two in the morning got the fat burger
Even saw the lights of the goodyear blimp
And it read ice cubes a pimp...'

As well as Letterman's Top 10 things he missed about LA.

So personally, I think having Fat Burger open in the middle of Wan Chai is straight up gangstaaaaa, although I don't think it opens until 2am. Designed as a American style deli with an open kitchen, it issurrounded by a chinese street market which make it seems a little out of place.

Looking at the meal, the burgers come in FAT BURGER, DOUBLE FAT BURGER and TRIPLE FATBURGER. Due to the size of my aterties, I only got the DOUBLE burger, which comes nicely as a meal set at whopping $90 HKD ($13CAD)
The fries were real good, came fresh from the deep fryer. The burger itself consist of lettuce, tomatoe, relish, onion, cheese and I added an Egg for an extra $5. Here is a close up on this artery clogging MONSTER.
So how did it taste? Well.....disappointing. At first bite, the burger literally exploded in my hands with oil and juices bursting in all directions. It got my suit pants (a bitch to dry clean) and eating the damn thing became a race against time aas the hot oil slowly burns my fingers. All the ingredients were exceptionly good and fresh......it was surprising the beef patties themselves that were lacking. The beef didn't have any flavour! It was so flavourless that a blind person will have no clue that he was eating beef.

My heart probably dropped a few times during the meal, had to punch myself in the chest to restart it. The photo below?
It's all the oil that was dripping from the burger, by the end of the meal, the oil slowly solidify into white blobs of fat....ewwwwwwww.

Final Verdict: Maybe its a bit of home bias. But I think Triple O's provides much better burgers at the same price. At least the beef patties actually taste like beef there. And seriously...even my arterties couldn't handle it. This place is a definite skip.....unless you are looking for a slow method of commiting suicide. Maybe Fat Burger was lost in translation sometime between the flight across the Pacific.

And by guilty conscience, I couldn't stand the meal and actually hit the gym right after. Yeah....scary shit.

http://www.openrice.com/restaurant/sr2.htm?shopid=26321

No comments:

Post a Comment