Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Mong Kok Street Food Raid Part: 2

........meh........too lazy to update lately.....

Another crazy MK street food raid this time. This time I was trying the legendary 貢茶 Gong Cha, a newly opened bubble tea shop that is causing a scene in Mong Kok.

How So? Well....look at the line.....
AND it was raining too.....

....wtf....are people lining up for free bubble tea or something...?

Anyways, 貢茶 is already a pretty well known brand in Taiwan, and decided to spread the culture of bubble tea (again) across the channel. I guess bubble tea is 'in' again? Opening in the heart of Dundas Street, infamous for its neck-to-neck competition between the snack stalls, Taiwan is truly is planting its flag into hostile territory, trying to claim for rep.

So....half an hour in line later.......
BAM! For $12 HKD ($1.75CAD?) you get this massive bubble tea. I photographed Aldric's fist as a comparison. And trust me.....Aldric is a BIG MAN. Moeha told me even a Japanese magazine rated this place for having the Best Bubble Tea in HK. And it was actually pretty good. As silly as it sounds, there is a good tea flavour in the tea....so it obviously was not mixed with powder like the ones in your average Chinatown. The tapioca is exceptionally chewy.
I was having a caffeine crave, for I got myself a HK Cha Chan Teng Style coffee with Tapioca. Obviously not as good as the original Bubble Tea, but I like how dark & bold the coffee tasted.

Final Verdict: WTF HALF AN HOUR! AND ITS NOT EVEN FREE.......DONT WASTE YOUR YOUTHHHHH

but if the line looks short, definitely worth a visit. Certainly beats the other competitors on the block. Plus, the proportions are sooo big that there is enough tea to fill you up for an afternoon.

hmmmm....maybe I should try a Bubble Tea diet.....

http://www.openrice.com/restaurant/sr2.htm?shopid=30948

No comments:

Post a Comment