Wednesday, August 26, 2009

The Deadliest Meal Ever......

Your stomach is boiling, your head covered in sweat. Your breathing in uncontrollable, your lips are shaking.

Why is it so hot everywhere around you? Why do you feel so exhausted? Did you just ran a marathon?

No....you just ate Sichuan.

Recommended by a good friend of mine from Poly U, he said that some of the greatest food are hidden in the old neighbor of Hung Hom. He brought me and a bunch of friends from my summer internship to try out some serious 'authentic' Sichuan food you can ever find in HK. Funny thing was that it happen to be around the corner from my other review of 聯記川王涼粉, my other humiliating spicy ordeal.

The shop is unnoticeable, like an average looking cha chan teng, it blends in with the odd mixtures of shops along this aging street. During daytime, it serves only Spicy Rice Noodle so casual diners or office workers. The real good food is only served at night.

When we order the dishes, they give us a variety of spices to choose from, 'Tiny, Small, Medium, Large, Super, Extreme'. The choice of words....interesting. It didn't help the store owner, a Sichuan Woman, tease Cantonese people that none of us could handle spices. So...us being young simple-minded students, decided to step up to the challenge and order EXTREME for all of our appetizers. BIG MISTAKE
The meal started with pig lungs and stomach, a chewy appetizer to open up the dining stomach. Spicy Pig Intestines and Red Chili Oil Dumplings. You can tell by the bits of chili and the red colour of each of the dishes that this place is seriously no jokes. The feelings and emotions you get from eating Sichuan is indescribable. I first thought that I was fine after the first few bites. Then eventually the spice crept up to me. My lips began to shake and rumble out of my control and I was starting to lose my taste buds. Every bite I took, my eyes began to water in pain. WTF? why does it feel like torture when I am simply eating a meal? I instantly ordered a beer to help cool down my mouth.
Amazing, the extreme spiciness from the appetizers made our mouths more adjusted towards the less spicy main dishes, making it taste extra better. The best dish in the restaurant, their 口水雞/ Spicy Chicken (or literally Saliva Chicken). The meat is surprising tender and not dry at all. The spices actually sharpens the chicken taste, making it extra tasty. It also came at a big portion. We loved this dish so much we ordered a second one. By the time the 水煮魚/Spicy Fish arrived, no one on the table had the energy or the taste buds left to enjoy this dish. Our mouths were just numb, and the fish was full of sneaky hidden bones, so the mixture of the two leads to very scary choking scenarios. I honestly need to come here the second time to try out this dish again, I honestly couldnt taste anything when I had eating it.

The owner was amazed how much spice our table endured throughout the meal, but laughed at how many bottles of beer that we drank to neutralize the spices. Everything in the restaurant tasted authentic, something you rarely see in HK and the chef is no joke when it is adding spiciness to the dishes. By the time the meal was over, I couldnt even stand up straight, my whole body was wobbly trying to control that burning sensation in my stomach.

Final Verdict: Definite must try for Spice Lovers. But you cant take spice at all, AVOID AT ALL COST
http://www.openrice.com/restaurant/sr2.htm?shopid=21183

No comments:

Post a Comment